Thursday, August 29, 2013

To my freckle faced boy,

For over two weeks, ever since you meet your teacher, you have been counting down the days until you officially became a kindergartner.  You and I went shopping together for your school supplies and new clothes with a break for lunch at your favorite restaurant, Bugaboo Creak, where the animals talk and the food tastes great.  We went to orientation two days before school, I think it made those last two days of waiting feel like 100 years to you as you left glowing with pleasure and excitement.


The day before we did some last minute things including a dry run of our morning schedule.  You were up at 6:45 to the sound of your new alarm clock that quacks instead of beeps.  We even timed the drive to drop Daddy off at work and then you at school.  Mornings are a bit tricky as we only have one car.  But we finished this practice run with breakfast at one of our favorite pubs.


While you were counting down the days for school to start I was trying hard to hold you loosely, and simply savor those last few days knowing that this next step was a forever change in our family.  It's true that you can always do school here at home with me as your teacher, but it was so much more then that.  While you were celebrating Corduroy the Bear's birthday during the orientation I was sitting in I found myself working hard not to cry as my mind ran down memory lane.  Not so long ago you were in my belly squiggling all around.  With each kick I fell more in love you.  We were one for nine months and then on a spring evening you made your debut as your own person. I felt like my heart was being ripped out that first time I let another hold you.  This week I find myself with these same feelings, for five years I've been with you and now I'm handing you off to another for a time.


But before school started after everything on your to do list was completed you asked if you could go check your mouse traps.  Between the two traps we found three mice and you made sure we let them go.  My same old boy just stepping into a new season, a season that while we walk it together we walk it in a way we never have before.


You know how to love me well.  You so kindly let me take pictures, I think you knew how my guts were in a knots over this day, so without even a question you posed for me as many times as I asked you too.  Again as we went into school you stayed close to me, and I'm pretty sure it was for my sake not yours.

My favorite first day of school picture.
Child, you have birthed me into motherhood.  No you are birthing me into motherhood with each new season.  I'm so glad it's you that gets to teach me and grow me in this way.  My rational, logical boy who is patient most often.

Your brother took this photo and it turned out to be my favorite.
You are an amazing five year old.  God is going to grow us both this year.

I love you,
Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment